Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Lemongrass and Chile Crusted Tofu

A big thank you to my friend, Carole, who directed me to another Vietnamese chef with great recipes! She also directed me to this recipe. This is the first of Luke Nguyen's recipes that I have attempted and I've made it several times now, tweaking it here and there. I'm really excited about trying more of his recipes as I go along.

I love the texture and how the tofu takes on the flavor of the marinade/stuffing. It's also a great main protein to pair with stir-fry veggies in my stir-fry sauce! This is a quick and easy weeknight meal.

Lemongrass and Chile Crusted Tofu
Adapted from Luke Nguyen

Ingredients:

  • 16 oz Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
  • 1 lemongrass stem, white part, diced (if not sold at your local grocer, Whole Foods usually carries it in fresh produce. I've started growing it in a pot since it repels mosquitoes and I can cook with it...two great functions!)
  • 1 T garlic, mashed
  • 1 Thai or 1/2 serrano chile, finely chopped, adjust to desired heat
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • Vegetable oil (enough to fill a 12 in. skillet to about 1/4 in. deep)
  • Cooked white rice (follow directions on package)

Directions:

  1. Open package of tofu and drain the liquid. Gently squeeze and pat dry as much as possible. Slice into 3/4 inch rectangles.
  2. In a small bowl, mix lemongrass, garlic, chile, salt, sugar, and pepper. Set aside.
  3. With the tip of a sharp knife, cut a shallow "x" shape (about half-way deep) into each tofu piece.
  4. Using your fingertips and a spoon, gently stuff the cuts with the lemongrass mixture. Spread any excess along the surface of the tofu.

  5. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium-hi heat. Once heated, carefully place the tofu in the oil, cut/stuffed side down (I gently place a slice on a metal spatula and ease it into the oil). Repeat with as many slices as will fit without crowding each other. Allow to fry, undisturbed, until the first side is nicely browned and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye! Flip and brown the other side as well. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on paper towels. 
  6. Repeat with remaining tofu until all is fried. 
  7. Serve over rice and with stir-fried veggies or roasted veggies. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment