Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Chipotle Salad Bowls

For more reasons than one, we haven't been to Chipotle in a while. But one of the main reasons is because I started making their salad bowls at home, and we all love them. I made them for my whole side of the family for dinner over Christmas break, and it was gobbled up. Also, this is a great dish to use that green salsa recipe I posted!

There are several components to get together for this dish. But what I love about it is that I can make/prep all components a day ahead or as I have time. Then I just pull them all out at dinner time. 

I'd also like to say that for years I fought the idea of putting salad dressing on my Chipotle bowl. I would think, "Who needs it when I already have delicious salsa?", and I'd never use it. Then one day, I DID use it. And it entirely changed the whole salad bowl for the better. Enjoy!


Chipotle Salad Bowls

Serves 4

Basic Bowl Ingredients:

  • Lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 2 c white rice, cooked according to package instructions
  • 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
  • 3 c shredded rotisserie chicken, warm (or if you have access to someone who smokes chicken in a BBQ, like my husband, use that. It's amazing!) 
  • Corn salsa

Corn Salsa Ingredients: Mix following ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate for 30 min or more to allow flavors to combine.


  • 12 oz bag frozen corn, thawed and drained
  • 1/8 c red onion, finely chopped
  • 1-2 serrano peppers, finely chopped (add according to how spicy you want it. While I love spicy, I don't put too much in the corn salsa because I don't want to lose the delicate sweet flavor from the corn)
  • Juice from 1 lime, or to taste
  • Salt/Pepper to taste

Garnishes (amount according to taste):

Directions: 

  1. You can layer and combine components any fun way you want. This is just how I do it. :)
  2. Place a layer of lettuce in the bottom of each bowl. Top with a layer of rice, black beans on top of that, and shredded chicken. Add salsa and corn salsa. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and dressing.




2 comments: